Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Hillary Clinton does not have Parkinson's Disease

I am going out on a limb and stating this.  Hell, there's probably more evidence that Bill has Parkinson-like symptoms, but not being a neurologist and having spent no time one-on-one with President Clinton, no one but his doctor would know, including myself.

And that is the reason that I can state Hillary Clinton does not have Parkinson's Disease.  Parkinson's is a very individualized disease with many symptoms that may or may not be related. Most folks with the disease are actually misdiagnosed for anywhere from months to years after first symptoms appear. I took two years (symptoms at 32, dxd at 34) and I've heard some patients who took 5-10 years (usually, they were young onset, like myself). So, trying to use symptoms to diagnose someone is ridiculous in and of itself.  Also, there is a particular series of tests/movements a neurologist goes through to diagnose someone and differences are usually subtle and often require hands-on the patient to perform.  So to say that you know someone has PD because of one or two Parkinson-like symptoms is absolutely ridiculous.

On the other hand, even if she had PD, who cares.  She is very active, like anyone running for President and that is considered the best way to fight the disease.  I know folks who have had the disease and run multiple marathons every year. For example John Ball, a Vietnam Vet who wrote, Living Well, Running Hard has had PD since the 80s and still runs the LA Marathon most years.  My wife and I befriended a woman who has had PD since the 90s and is on pace to run about 50 marathons this year and will hopefully make the Runner's World cover for December.  You would not call either of these folks feeble or weak, and I wouldn't call Hillary Clinton that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment